Saturday, May 20, 2006

Linus Torvalds, Gadgeteer

Slashdot led me today to an interesting CNN.com interview with Open Source leader Linus Torvalds. There were a couple of lines in the article that will resonate with Gadgeteers everwhere:

Linus Torvalds: A lot of the core people just feel excited about the technology. And that's why a lot of people just start; that's where I started from, it was just the excitement of doing something yourself. It's kind of like a hobby. You can tinker with cars, you can tinker with computers. There are a lot of technical issues that are just very exciting if you're that kind of person...

Kristie Lu Stout: Do you think there was a little bit of bragging involved?
LT: Absolutely. There was a bit of bragging, there was also a bit of, hey, I still, the way I do my work is I sit these days downstairs in my basement alone. And it's nice to just talk to people and a lot of it was probably just social, just saying, hey this is a way to interact with other geeks who are probably also socially inadequate in many ways.